How Ottawa’s $20M is being spent in the Philippines
Lakbaypilipinas is sharing this article from CTV News Toronto:
Published Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:39AM EST
More than half of the $20 million Ottawa has pledged to the humanitarian relief effort in the Philippines will go toward helping international organizations, Canada’s Minister of International Development Christian Paradis said Tuesday.
The announcement of how the disaster relief money will be used comes a day after Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Ottawa will contribute another $15 million for aid groups responding to Typhoon Haiyan. Canada had previously pledged $5 million.
Officials also said Tuesday that the government will continue to help Canadians whose loved ones were in the devastated areas when the typhoon struck.
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-ottawa-s-20m-is-being-spent-in-the-philippines-1.1550066#ixzz2l7CjJDyq
Neil Reeder, Canada’s ambassador-designate to the Philippines, said 17 Canadians are currently unaccounted for. But officials say there are no specific reports of any Canadians killed or injured in the storm.
Of the $20 million being sent to the Philippines, $12 million has been allocated to the following international groups:
The United Nations World Food Program will receive $4 million
The United Nations Children’s Fund will receive $3 million to help address emergency water, sanitation and hygiene, nutrition, child protection and psycho-social needs;
The International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies will receive $2 million;
The International Organization for Migration will receive $2 million;
The World Health Organization will receive $800,000; and,
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs will receive $200,000.
A number of Canadian humanitarian groups will also receive funding:
$1 million will go to CARE Canada to help it provide emergency shelter;
$1 million will go to Médecins Sans Frontières Canada to help it provide emergency medical care;
$1.5 million will go to Oxfam Canada to help it provide water and sanitation facilities;
$1.5 million will go to Plan Canada to help it provide emergency shelter, clean drinking water, basic household items, and health and hygiene sensitization;
$1 million will go to Save the Children Canada to help it provide water, sanitation and hygiene, education and child protection services;
And $2 million will go to World Vision Canada to help it provide emergency household items, basic hygiene items and psychosocial support for typhoon survivors.
Meanwhile, more military aid equipment, including a water purification unit is en route to the Philippines. Canada’s Disaster Assistance Response Team, or DART, has been focusing their relief efforts in two provinces: Illoilo and Capiz.
Col. Steve Kelsey said more than 300 Canadian military personnel have now been deployed or are on the ground in the Philippines.
Typhoon Haiyan carved a path of devastation through much of the Pacific island nation when it hit on Nov.8. At least 5,000 people are either missing or confirmed dead, with another 4 million estimated to be displaced.
Share this story:
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-ottawa-s-20m-is-being-spent-in-the-philippines-1.1550066#ixzz2l7CvO9R2
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-ottawa-s-20m-is-being-spent-in-the-philippines-1.1550066#ixzz2l7CV4Nzv
Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/how-ottawa-s-20m-is-being-spent-in-the-philippines-1.1550066#ixzz2l7BS8300