The Trip to Surprise my Friend that never was meant to be…
On the 26 September 2014 I got a flight RT and hotel reservation at www.expedia.ca and reserved dates for 06 October 2014 to 28 October 2014 RT Flight from Toronto-YYZ to Detroit via Tokyo to Cebu. Since nobody was available to meet me in Manila due to the flooding there, I changed Manila to Cebu flight instead. Then Expedia got me a 19 nights hotel stay at The Mandarin Plaza Hotel 08 October 2014 to 27 October 2014 for less than $1000. My credit card limit was just increased recently so I have decided to go through with it and buy the holiday package through Expedia. But when I sent my Canadian Passport copy to the travel agency for the airline’s ticket issuance, it was not issued and I had to renew my passport expiring in two months. The travel agency have this strict rule of 6-month expiry minimum for passports in order to issue a round trip ticket to a prospective passenger for international flights. My plane ticket was put on hold since I told them, I will be renewing it by express (10 days time limit).
When I went to the Passport Office to renew it, the 10-day limit waiting time was extended to 20-day limit because of the huge volume of passport renewals and applications to be processed. So now the earliest time to get my renewed passport was 16 October 2014 instead of 06 October 2014. The Airline won’t issue my RT ticket until 16 October 2014, that sucks. The whole holiday package plan (Flight & Hotel) was cancelled after the agency called the airline and Expedia to give them an update. Reservations on flight and hotel was cancelled by Expedia free of charge since nothing have gone through my planned purchases yet.
I put ‘maybe’ on the FB Event invite RSVP because I was planning to give my friend a big surprise for her wedding day. Now everything is in jeopardy so I don’t have a choice but to ‘decline’ on the invite. I won’t be going anymore. Before the flight cancellation, I asked for a reroute to Eastbound flight instead of Westbound. Offered flight was Toronto to London then to Hongkong and Manila to Cebu/Mactan. Either route was fine though I preferred the Eastbound to London so I can stopover there for a day and travel to Paris for 2 days maybe. What a bummer my passport was, who would have thought that it was the hitch that will spoil the surprise trip, completely.
Well, some things are not meant to be no matter how much you try. I tried and thought that I could pull it off and give my friend a BIG surprise by showing up at her wedding day unexpectedly. It didn’t work out although I am all praise for Expedia getting me a good price of the flight and hotel in a vacation package. I didn’t go for the car offer since my International Driver’s License have already expired a few years ago.
If my Canadian passport was renewed on time, who knows I could have made it to Manila even with the typhoon, flood and all. Then fly direct to Mactan Airport. I still have the flight and hotel bookmarked into my browser but time is running out. Well, plot twist, guess it’s time to move on. If I took the Westbound trip YYZ (Toronto) to DTW (Detroit) then to NRT (Tokyo) where the super typhoon Vongfong was forecast to hit Japan on the week that I was to have a stopover there, then that would have been disastrous if you were on a flight and encountered those strong winds up to 200-kph, that was inadvertently avoided. Perhaps that HK unrest in China was the real reason why my planned trip didn’t work out. Who knows the flight could have been diverted somewhere else and will just cause me some trouble that now I can really avoid.
It would have been awesome to visit the Philippines for the important occasion but sometimes things happen for a definite reason, whatever that may be in the truest sense of the word. Even though it would have cost me a bundle to go on this last minute surprise trip, it would have been worth it. I was all set and ready to leave at a moment’s notice with all my bags packed, also a formal black evening gown to wear to the wedding reception with new black pump shoes to match it and my digital camera gears all ready to go. But at times some things are not meant to be so I rest my case.